The Taverners Section arose as a result of the demise of the Leicestershire
Vintage Club. This was founded during 1956 as a joint Club for Vintage
Cars and Motorcycle enthusiasts living in the Leicester area.
Historically clubs combining both interests have not proved successful
with the notable exceptions of The Motorcycling Club (who still organise
the Classic Exeter, Edinburgh and Lands End Trials) and the Aston
Motor Club. Both of these were founded during 1901!
The LVC ran for some years but at an AGM the car members
of the Committee alleged that the motorcycle ones were "trying to take
over the Club" and discord ensued. As a result the motorcyclists
decided to leave and establish a local group of their own which
duly met in central Leicester in the Newarke Tavern in Mill Lane.
meetings and runs were held and a visit to us on 9th January 1958
was made by Frank Bussey, from the Midland Region and Len Wills,
who was a member of their Management Committee. They pleaded with
us to become a Region of the Vintage Motorcycle Club and, as most
of us were members anyway, it was decided to take this action and
thus we became the East Midlands Region.
The Club room was moved to the "Hope & Anchor" Tavern
Inn on Wanlip Lane, Syston to help those members who were coming
in increasing numbers from the Loughborough, Nottingham and Derby
areas to the north of Leicester. The Region prospered with many riding
events including 'mud plugs' (now known as sporting trials) during
the winter months and a road trial during the Autumn which was called "The
Mitchell Trial" as our then Chairman, Peter Mitchell, presented
the sole trophy.
In view of the increasing numbers of members attending
meetings from the north east Midlands, they felt justified and
able to form
a Section in their own right and so the ‘Notts and Derbyshire
Section’ came into being and we became The Taverners, the
name decided upon as a reminder of our formation at the aforementioned
Apart from the Racing Section, we became the only
non-geographically named Section within the VMCC. That was until
late 2012 when we added ‘Leicester’ to our name and
we’re now known as The Taverners Leicester.